9.21.2012

He's here . . .

Tucker Vincent Jensen
Birth Date: Friday, September 14, 2012
Time: 9:29 PM
Weight: 9lbs 2oz
Length: 21.5 inches


Our little baby boy was born a week ago today! He is the cutest little man. He is a happy healthy little boy and is adored by all, especially his big sister. Jada just LOVES her baby brother. She loves to give him lots of kisses and tries to help whenever she can. I love watching her try to take care of him, it melts my heart.

Now on to the birth story for those of you waiting to hear . . . 

As many of you know, I had an induction scheduled for Friday the 14th. The hospital called me the day before to let me know that they would call in the morning (saying they could call as early at 6:30 AM) to let me know when to come in. I was sure to inform them that we were an hour away, so we would need a little extra time to get there when they called.

Well 6:30 AM came and went. I was told to eat a light breakfast, which I did, then tried not to eat any more while we waited for the call. Time came and went, we even took Jada to an airplane museum to pass time hoping it would help. Around noon, I decided to call them to see what I should do. I wasn't sure as far as eating was concerned what I could/should do, and I wanted to know what kind of time frame I was looking at. The day seemed to drag on. They said that they were having an extremely busy morning, but that I was next on the list to come in, so hopefully they would give me a call within the next few hours.

Around 3 PM the call finally came. 

We arrived at the hospital and were checked in at 4:30 PM. They got the I.V. in place and hooked me up to the monitors to check the baby's heartbeat and to monitor my contractions. To my surprise, I was already having contractions 5 minutes apart consistently. I felt them, but they didn't feel like contractions to me so I was unaware that things were already starting. I was also already 3cm and 80% effaced. Things were looking good.

At 5:10 they started the Pitocin. About 30 minutes after that my midwife, Kathryn, came in and broke my water. This is about when everything really started to get going.

Luckily, unlike with Jada, my contractions progressed. With each contraction, they slowly got harder and closer together. By 8 PM I had been feeling those same extremely painful contractions that I had with Jada. I told Michael that I wanted to get check. If I was around a 4, I had already decided to get the epidural. But, if I was an 8 or higher I would ride it out. The nurse came and said I was at a 4.5. So, I ordered the epidural:) I got it about 30 minutes later and by 8:35 was already starting to calm down and feel better. At this time, the midwife checked my dialation and said I was already at a 7.

I had arranged for my friend, Rachel, who photographed Jada's birth, to come photograph Tucker's. So, at this point I called her and let her know that I was getting close and to head on over.

Meanwhile, my contractions were getting less and less painful, but I was feeling this "sharp" pressure down low with each contraction. I kept telling Kathryn that it wasn't going away and I couldn't figure out what was going on. She decided to check my dilation again. Come to find out that pressure was the baby telling me it was time. I was at a 10 +1. Kathryn said I was ready to push.

At this point I wasn't sure what to do. My Mom, who was at the hospital with us for the birth, had stepped out to call my Dad, and Rachel wasn't here yet and wouldn't be for another 25 minutes. Who knew I would go from a 4.5 to a 10 in 50 minutes?! So, I did what I had to do:) I asked my midwife if it would be OK to wait. The baby's heartbeat was good and everything looked fine so she OKed me waiting until my Mom got back and Rachel arrived.

Rachel arrived around 9:20 PM and had just enough time to set her things down and get her camera ready before the pushing began. Within minutes, baby Tucker was born. I pushed through 2 contractions and that was it. Baby Tucker arrived at 9:29 PM; big, long, and healthy:) Everyone in the room was commenting on how big he was. Kathryn guessed he was over 9 pounds. This time Michael made the comment about how he couldn't believe he fit inside of me. (For those of you who know the story, the first thing I said when Jada was born was "I can't believe that came out of me!" or something to that effect.)

(There was a bit of confusion about the weight, but to make a long story short . . . at birth the scale read 8lbs 7oz, but after he was taken to the nursery the nurse taking care of him didn't believe that he was only 8 pounds, so she re-weighted him there and got 9lbs 2oz. After a few days of weighting and consulting they decided to change his records to the 9lbs 2oz and are apparently checking of all the scales in the Labor and Delivery unit for accuracy.)

He was a little bruised in the face, but other then that he looked perfect.

I can't tell you how happy I am to have a healthy little man. Due to some issues in the first few months of his pregnancy, I was concerned that something had gone wrong. I am sure many mothers feel this way, but I was worried the entire pregnancy that he would have some issues and wouldn't be healthy. But he is, and boy am I grateful.

We are so excited to have Tucker in our family. He has the cutest little face, long toes, light brown hair, and a smile that melts your heart. He is a great eater and so far a good sleeper. 

We love our baby Tucker!



Photos from his birth courtesy of Rachel Call Photography (she is the best!)


Caption/Quote by Rachel via Facebook: "Welcome to the world, Tucker! I promise, it's not so bad."  












The morning after his birth


 


Jada meeting Tucker for the first time
 



The best Big Sister a Little Brother could have!


6 comments:

Ranell Jensen said...

oh my gosh I LOVE the one of Michael,Jada, and Tucker!!! Jada looks so excited to be a big sister. Tucker is so cute we can't wait to meet him!!!

Ranell Jensen said...

Oh my gosh I LOVE the one of Michael,Jada, and Tucker!!! Jada looks so excited to be a big sister. Tucker is so cute we can't wait to meet him!!!

Katie said...

What precious pictures! Man I hope my next one goes so quickly. There should be some sort of rule for women who had long first time labors. Hopefully we get to see you guys again some day and meet the little guy. Congratulations again!

Lauren said...

Precious! Congrats! Did you use the Central Utah Clinic midwives? I used them for both of my births. They are fantastic!

Lauren said...

Adorable! Did you use the Central Utah midwives? (the ones right by the AF hospital)? I used them for both of mine, they are fantastic!

Brittany Lewis said...

What a great story! Thanks for sharing. The pictures are beautiful and will be priceless in years to come, I'm sure. I think it's awesome that Tucker is named for your maiden name.
Our blog is brittandaaron.blogspot.com if you want to keep track of us! :)