8.20.2014

New York City

Michael and I finally got to take our 5 year anniversary trip to New York City! Michael had to go for some training for work and we decided to take advantage of the free hotel and extra perks. Lucky for us, Michael's parents agreed to watch Jada and Tucker so Michael and I got to spend 5 days in NYC alone together.


We left on a Friday afternoon and drove to Michigan. Twelve hours later we made it safe and sound. We spent a few days getting the kids settled, then flew out Monday morning bright and early (6AM which means we woke up at 3:30AM). Our flights went well and we landed in New York around 11AM. We took a taxi from the airport to our hotel and started our adventures.

We spent the next few hours visiting Chinatown and Little Italy, eating lunch at 456 Shanghi, walking the High Line, and checking out Time Square. After all of that, we were pretty tired and headed back to spend the rest of the evening in our hotel. We watched the FIFA game and headed to bed. After our long day of traveling and walking I was exhausted!







On Tuesday, Michael went to his first day of training while I started exploring. I slept in a bit then got ready and headed to the MOMA. It was nice to be able to take my time and enjoy the art. I spent the rest of my afternoon in Central Park enjoying the outdoors and beautiful park. After a few relaxing hours I went back to the hotel to meet Michael. From there we went to Time Square and ate some dinner at Guy's American Kitchen & Bar. Unfortunately we both weren't impressed. After dinner we went to see the Newsies Musical! It was amazing. Michael and I both loved it. It was Michael's first Broadway experience and I am pretty sure it didn't disappoint.


My favorite piece of artwork





On Wednesday while Michael was training, I visited the Guggenheim and the MET. I even got to see Grand Central Station. It was a lot of walking and a lot of museum:) It was awesome to see so much amazing art, but by the end of the afternoon I was exhausted and ready to take a break. When I finished at the MET I headed to the Gershwin Theater to try and win the Wicked lottery. No lucky. I quickly got on the subway, and met Michael at the 911 Memorial. It was pretty surreal to see. It is a pretty amazing and beautiful memorial. We also decided to go ahead and visit the 911 Museum that just opened. We spent the next few hours touring the museum. Honestly, it was pretty depressing. A lot of it was amazing to see and there were some awesome things that they did to remember those who were lost, but it was also hard to revisit that day and all of the devastation that followed. Following that, we checked out Wall Street, got some dinner, and took the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty at night. We had a great time together walking around the different parts of NYC.














Thursday was a bit more relaxed for me. I slept in for as long as I could, then headed to the Natural History Museum. Another wonderful place to visit. After finding some lunch, I headed back to the hotel to take a quick nap before meeting Michael. When Michael finished training we both got on the subway and met at Grimaldi's pizza for dinner. After a good dinner we went to the Gershwin to see Wicked! Best Show Ever! I have seen it before, but was once again blown away. I love everything about it. Michael loved it as well. It was the perfect way to spend our last night in NY!




Friday was a crazy day. My flight left around 5 so I planned to leave the hotel around 3. I spent the morning shopping in Time Square and enjoying Bryant Park. Michael got off early and met me at the hotel so that we could take a taxi together to the airport. Right before we left the hotel I remembered that I needed to check in for my flight . . . but for some reason it wouldn't work and kept giving me an error message. It didn't take long for me to realize that I had accidentally scheduled my flight for the following Friday. We hurried to the airport and tried everything to get a flight out that night. No one could help me. I won't go into all the details, but lets just say I experience a miracle. After checking many times and reading "sold out" every time, a seat became available in my moment of need. I made it home. (In case you are wondering where Michael went, he flew back to Atlanta to work the next week.)

Michael and I loved our week in New York. It was a much needed break from parenthood and a much needed one-on-one time for us. A big thanks to Mom and Dad Jensen for watching Jada and Tucker. They loved their time with Gramma and Grampa J and didn't even notice we were gone.

No comments: