7.01.2016

2400


The Jensen family has some exciting new. On May 3rd we made an offer on a house here in Georgia, and on June 3rd we official became home owners! We have been in the house for a few weeks now and it is seriously a dream come true. It is better than I could have ever dreamed of or imaged for our first home. I know without a doubt that Heavenly Father led us to this home and that this is where we are meant to be.

Let's jump back in time and I will tell you all about it!

Michael had been looking at homes for over a year. He had spent hours and hours looking at home, trying to figure out where we would want to buy and what we could afford. I will be honest, the more homes he showed me in our price range, the more I didn't want to buy. The market here in Marietta (East Cobb) is high. Because of the amazing schools that we have, it is really difficult to find a good home in our price range. All the good ones go super fast and you really have to be on the ball, willing to make an offer almost as soon as you see it posted. And if you want a smaller, new home, forget about it. Any new builds are upwards of $600,000.

That being said, I wasn't excited. Everything I saw I didn't love. I felt like we would be spending so much money on something I didn't really care for. I was happy in our rental and was willing to stay until we were literally busting at the seams.

Fast forward to late April. Michael and I were laying in bed one evening when he randomly said, "Should I stop looking at houses?" I didn't really know what to say. Obviously I wanted to own a home one day, but I just felt like we needed to save more so that we could afford something more doable and something I would like. I thought we had officially decided to wait at least another year. (Side note: Michael was also not currently sure if we would be staying here in Atlanta. There was a good chance we would be moving for a different job) All I said was, "I don't know". I felt like I shouldn't say yes, but I also felt like he was wasting a lot of time. That was the end of the conversation.

The next morning (Thursday) I went about my usual business, taking care of the kids, doing chores, cleaning the house, etc. When the boys when down for a nap and Jada was having quiet time, I was at my usual spot. Here. At the computer. When all the sudden I found myself on zillow looking at house in the area. One of the first to appear was this beauty.


As soon as I saw it and looked through the pictures I just knew it was "the one", the house that was meant to be our house. All at once I just got so excited. All of my fears and worries and anxieties about what we should do just melted away. I kept looking through other homes, but I just kept coming back to this one. As soon as Michael got home I hold him that I found the house I wanted. He chuckled, thinking I was joking. But I was serious. I told him we needed to find a realtor immediately. Like that night. I pulled up the house and showed him the pictures. He said it looked nice but still wasn't sold.

I could tell he wasn't taking me seriously. He just brushed it off and said that he would email the guy our friends recommended in the morning. So . . . I let it go for the moment. But the house was all I could think about.

The following day I followed up with Michael. He said that he had emailed the guy and that they were going to go get lunch the next week to meet and discuss everything. NEXT WEEK! I knew it would be gone by then, but Michael didn't seem to worried about it.

The next morning (Saturday), Jada had a birthday to attend and I went to drop her off. I was only 5 minutes away from the house so I decided to drop by just to see it. To see if I really felt the same about it in person. I knew that the house was a house someone was flipping and that no one lived in it, so I thought I could at least walk around the property and look in the windows.

When I drove up there was a couple guys working on the yard. I wasn't sure who they were, but I went up, introduced myself, and told them that I was interested in the house. To my surprise, I just met the owners. They happily walked me through the house and told me all about it and what they had done. They were so nice, it was awesome. We chatted and he recommended that I call his realtor and see if he would work with us too (since we hadn't committed to one yet). Promising to come down on the price if we used his guy.

I went home and told Michael that I was for sure now. I went and saw the house, and I loved it. It was our house. He laughed again and said, "You can't buy the first house you see!" (I am pretty sure he thought I was crazy). But my response was, "Why not!? Of course you can. If it is perfect then why not?" I went through the list of all the things we wanted. It had them all. The only problem was that someone else had already made an offer, so we didn't really have time to think about it and wait. We needed to act if we were serious.

So Michael called Glen (their realtor) and left a message. He called back and we had a good chat about the house. He let us know what was going on with the offer, and said that he would get back to us in the next few days to let us know if it was still available. Meanwhile, Michael insisted we walk through a couple other homes. On Sunday, Glen called us back and said that Travis (the owner) wanted him to show us the house. So we set up an appointment for Monday night.

Monday came and I was so excited. Michael came home from work a little bit early and we headed over to walk through, kids and all. We met Glen, who was so kind and awesome, and walked through the house. I couldn't stop smiling! I was just so happy and excited. Glen was very friendly and informative. I really got a good vibe from him and liked him right off the bat. He talked to us about what was happening with the other offer and advised us to make an offer ourselves "if we were serious". He told us to go home and talk about it and to get back to him with what we wanted to do.

As soon as we got into the car I looked at Michael and said, "So? What do you think!?" His response, "It's perfect". Ahhhh I couldn't contain my excitement! I couldn't stop smiling! We talked about the perfect house all night.

The following morning we called up Glen and had him write up the offer. We signed it and sent it on its way. Within the hour our offer was accepted and the rest is history! It took exactly 1 month for us to get everything in place and taken care of. On June 3rd we closed and on June 11th we officially moved in. (I started moving things on the 4th and took loads almost every day, but the 11th was when we did our big move and started sleeping here)

To top it all off, my dad offered to finish our basement for us! So at the end of August he is flying out for a month to help us finish the basement and work on a few other projects we want him to do. My mom is coming out for a few of those weeks too! It's going to be awesome.

And that's that. Here we are. Thanks to spiritual guidance and promptings, we are home owners of our perfect house. The kids love it, we love it, and every day at least once I think to myself, "I can't believe this is OUR house. It's ours!" (and a HUGE smile beams from my face)

Life. Is. Good.

1 comment:

Pam said...

I loved reading about your journey!! I couldn't help smiling either. Congratulations!!!!